[MCR] South Western BC, Manning Park

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Dec 8 19:09:24 EST 2011

I was in Manning Park for the past four days. The snow pack is well settled and the hazard at Tree Line and below was moderate if not low where I traveled. I did not see, or hear any info about recent avalanches.

At about1800m on an E aspect there was about 1.3 m of snow. On the surface and also 5 cm below the surface there is 5 mm size surface hoar. The first 20 cm is nice light fist density powder below this are 3 ice laminations followed by a progressively hardening and solid pack. Just above the heather are rounded bottom facets. I got hard irregular compression tests between the ice layers.

The sun has baked true S aspects a bit and made a very thin ice crust. The north aspects are good skiing.

Dave Sarkany
Ski Guide