[MCR] Kootenays snow

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Dec 15 21:39:41 EST 2011

Sue Gould and I have been teaching an avalanche course in Kootenay Pass (Salmo-Creston Pass) this week. Last night we had 10 cm of low density snow that covered up a huge surface hoar layer (up to 30 mm). This surface hoar in turn is atop another 20-30 cm of weak facets. Although the snowfall amounts have been too low so far to cause an instability there WILL be avalanches on this layer as soon as we get a bit more snow or there is a significant wind event.

Time to start planning what you're going to do once the tipping point is reached on this layer. Either the local ski hill or on the couch watching the hockey would be my plan.

Mark Klassen
IFMGA/ACMG Mountain Guide
www.alpinism.com/SPEARHEAD_TRAVERSE