[MCR] Rockies, Cobre Verde

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Feb 12 20:32:05 EST 2011

I guided Cobre Verde today, Feb 12th. Moderate snowfall all morning
with accumulation of 7 centimeters when we walked away at 2:30 pm.

The road to the route is marked well in the guidebook (fourth
edition, if you can find it). The gate is locked right now and has a
"Closed, Staff Only" sign. Walk straight down the road avoiding a
left hand branch, past a metal quonset hut, to the far north end.
Five minutes northward in the trees puts you below the route. It
appears that the correctional facility mentioned in the guidebook is
gone.

The first pitch could be made WI 3, 45 meters to trees. We busted a
trail to the second wee pillar and along the way exposed a subice
broom closet with lots of running water. Not the kind of thing that
you see everyday and it would suck to fall into it. Found a second
one at the base of the pillar. Above the pillar we walk through some
exposed running water then headed up into the ice inundated forest to
the right. A last pitch of WI 2-3 lies above on the right. From the
top of this we traversed left to avoid some rappeling and walked down
the drainage. Two 50 meter rappels from trees gets you to the ground.
A fine adventure route.

www.barryblanchard.ca
www.yamnuska.com