[MCR] Pillar Collapse in Haffner

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Feb 19 23:59:14 EST 2011

Hi Everyone,

Spent the last 5 days with the MAST College of the Rockies (Fernie Campus)
on an intro to Ice and Mixed Climbing. Temps ranged from 4.0 at the
Junkyards on the 14th all the down to -20.0 on the morning of the 18th at
Haffner. We had a near miss at Haffner Creek yesterday at approximately
1330 during the day when the solar radiation threw some substantial heat
into the ice facing southerly by the early afternoon. In conjunction with
the cold temps overnight, this precipitated the unsupported pillar on the
lookers right side to fail and collapse. As is turned out, one of our
students had walked behind the curtain 5 minutes prior to the event.

This was large group (21 students) with 4 guides attending to the
instruction and coaching. Clearly, we are well into the time of the year
when the daytime heating is a huge factor, particularly after such frigid
overnight temps.

Keep Your Heads Up,

Paddy Jerome
ACMG IFMGA Mountain Guide