[MCR] Rockies, Finishing Hammer Gully

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Feb 20 20:45:41 EST 2011

I guided Finishing Hammer Gully today, Feb 20th. We headed up the
wrong gully to start, 2 hours of good cardio, and if any sport mixed
climbers want to get to the southmost Waterfowl Gully, go now, before
more wind and snow, as there is a hard won track. Otherwise take skis
or snowshoes. A great bumslide saw us back to the highway and off to
Finishing Hammer. There is an old boot track leading to the climb,
and a new snowshoe track that starts 20 meters north of the boot
track. The climb is a little underwhelming at present due to snow
coverage, would be a better route with more exposed ice. The views of
Mt Chephren and Howse Peak are breathtaking however. We rappeled the
route from trees on climber's left.

www.barryblanchard.ca
www.yamnuska.com

Howse Peak and Mt Chephren