[MCR] Lake Louise Falls

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Feb 28 19:48:48 EST 2011

Up the Falls today on a very busy Monday. -18C in the parking lot at
0700, high of -15C at noon. Unlike the blizzard on the drive in from
Canmore, calm to variable light winds all day at the Lake, with about
10cm in our tracks by the time it had stopped on the way out .

The pillar is as much of a pegboard as I can ever remember, so not
much swinging required through the crux. Just enough ice for screws
amongst the usual swiss cheese. LOTS of recent storm snow
accumulation to wallow up mid-route on the right side as well as
above the route, with several small sluffs down the route as we were
topping out. The donkey trail down is in decent shape with a few,
steep, hard-packed sections on old debris. Off-trail boot penetration
was bottomless, with isolated pockets of soft slabbing.

Carl Johnston, AAG/RG
Yamnuska Mountain Adventures