[MCR] Malignant Mushroom and Sunshine, South Ghost

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Jan 6 00:18:55 EST 2011

Had a nice day of guiding in the South Ghost today.  Malignant Mushroom and
Sunshine are both in excellent shape with dry plastic ice and good protection.
We hoped to finish with Aquarius but as best we could tell it is not in.  Strong
SW winds in the main valley and at ridge top, but the climbs had only light to
calm winds and good sun exposure.  Wicked Wanda and the Peanut Gallery looked
good from a distance.

Driving conditions left something to be desired.  Just past the first bridge (a
few kms in) there are some pretty deep ice ruts to navigate, pick your line
well.  Further in the wind drifts on the road continue to accumulate and cause
trouble with one detour through a cut-block to avoid the worst of it.  It was
nice being in a high clearance vehicle with chains, and a big thanks to
the other truck who was breaking trail.   Once in the Ghost valley driving
conditions were alright.
 Cheers, Conrad Janzen
ACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide
www.banffmountainguides.com