[MCR] Crowfoot Mtn area, Cdn Rockies

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Jan 9 18:21:45 EST 2011

Headed up to the Crowfoot Mtn area near the Wapta Icefields. We were curious if we might find some "good" skiing up there, but we were severely disappointed with the variable conditions we encountered in the alpine. Ridgetop and 200m below were stripped of any storm snow, while the remaining alpine surface had a hollow soft slab making skiing tricky. Shallow areas, like moraines and treeline, still are not showing much support for a skier, unless you stay on the up-track. The slopes above the Bow Hut looked like they had less wind effect, but those observations were made from the other side of the valley.

It was -18 at the car in the morning with light northerlies. It was -26 at the summit with moderate north winds....COLD! I should have brought a full-down suit with electric heating. Just need to find someone to haul up the car battery to power it.

Chris Gooliaff
ASG AAG