[MCR] South Coast Musical Bumps

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Jan 10 08:28:18 EST 2011

I was in the Musical Bumps yesterday.
Lots of tracks everywhere. I only saw two new fracture lines both associated with size 1 sides. One was in the only gully near the top of Oboe Mt's NW side. The other tiny slab was off the NE side of Flute. This slid on a layer of stellars 30- 40 cm down in the new snow.
Digging into the snow produced a few easy and moderate shears in F - 4f+ snow, all coming out easily. Where I went the Jan 4 surface hoar is well defined at 60 - 80 cm down but seemed unreactive to tests and ski cutting.
Pretty good ski quality!
Dave Sarkany
SG