[MCR] Selkirks - Norther Valhallas

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Jan 13 20:02:17 EST 2011

The snow continues to pile up, with another 30cm+ in the last 2
days. Around noon today the winds starting kicking into mod-high gear
from the W-SW and by 2pm a few naturals on crossloaded aspects (N and S)
had already been observed in alpine and treeline locations of size 1 to 2. We
had a skier triggered avalanche size 2 as well today with a self guided group that the person skied out of on a small
opening in the trees with a 38 degree start zone at 2200m, N asp down
55cms to a buried preserved stellar layer (from Jan 6th) that has
produced a number of naturals in our region from the last week. We are at our highest temps since last week
now, with -3 at 5pm at 1760m, so it seems like the warm and windy storm
has arrived. Anticipating a sizable natural cycle out there so stay
safe, as some deeper buried facet layers might become reactive with even more load.

Evan Stevens

Mountain Guide

Valhalla Mountain Touring

www.vmt.ca