[MCR] Whitewater backcountry, near Nelson / West Kootenays / Selkirks

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Jan 16 22:44:26 EST 2011

Just back from an AST 1 course in the Whitewater area backcountry today...

About 10cm of new snow fell overnight followed by rain today to ridgetop
(~2100m where we were). By 1pm, -1C temps were already forming a weak 2cm
thick rain crust that will make for particularly challenging skiing when it
freezes solid.

We found resistant, moderate shears at storm snow interfaces down 25cm and
45cm on north and south aspects in a 220 - 240cm snowpack. We also found
the Jan. 3 surface hoar layer down 80cm giving hard, sudden shears with
crystals up to 12mm near ridgetop! We did not see or hear any activity but
visibility was severely limited.

Reports from yesterday at Kootenay Pass were that hail pellets had
penetrated the top 10cm providing challenging skiing from ridgetop down to
~1800m where the rain crust began in earnest.

Today off the Kaslo / New Denver Hwy a party reported that most open slopes
above 35 degrees had slid below treeline.

Just learning now of a fatality in Kokanee Park.

Wish I had better news.

Stay safe,
Shaun King ACMG / UIAGM Mountain Guide
Mountain Sense Guiding & Instruction