[MCR] unusual, large avalanches

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Jan 18 20:20:52 EST 2011

I just came out of the field and am working in the CAC Public Avalanche Warning Service office this week. Today we received several reports of unexpected, unusual, large, and destructive avalanches that ran in the last 24 hours. These occurred after major precipitation and winds had ended and as/after temperatures cooled off. Several size 3 – 3.5 and one size 4.5 that dammed the Illecillewaet River east of Revelstoke: http://www.bclocalnews.com/kootenay_rockies/revelstoketimesreview/news/114169389.html

We are not yet certain about what is causing these avalanches and whether this kind of activity is likely to continue. However, it might be wise to be wary for the next few days until we see if this is a short term problem or something that might be longer lived. If/when we figure out what’s happening we’ll put information and advice in the CAC avalanche forecasts at: http://www.avalanche.ca/cac/bulletins/latest

I must stress that several of these avalanches surprised professionals, some of whom are very senior practitioners with many, many years of experience.

Stay safe out there.

Karl Klassen
Mountain Guide
Revelstoke, BC