[MCR] Avalanche on Athabasca

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Jul 5 20:55:10 EDT 2011

Report from Mark Klassen guiding at the Columbia Icefields.

Large natural slab release today size 2 to 2.5 on the triangular east face
of Mt. Athabasca. This is the face visible from the Parker Ridge area. It
did not fail to the glacier ice but the failure layer would appear to be
deeper than just recent storm snow. It was solar triggered and happened
around 10 or 11 AM today (Tuesday). Mark thought (and I agree) that it is a
reminder that we still have a lot of snow out there with the potential for
large summer avalanches now that the temperatures are becoming more
seasonal.

Marc Ledwidge

MG