[MCR] Mt. Macdonald, Rogers Pass

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Jul 7 11:47:51 EDT 2011

Fred Amyot and I had adventurous day on Mt. Macdonald on July 6th via the Herdman Couloir and SW Ridge.

The crossing of Connaught Creek was fairly easy using a large fallen cedar, but it took us an hour to find it. Presently the log crossing is not below the second snow shed(as described in D.Jones guidebook) but 150m west. Park at the second snowshed and walk west 150m to the avalanche control gunner platform. Turn north and bushwack down to the river and the log crossing. The crossing is easy but falling in would be perilous.

Bring gloves, thick pants, and determination for the bushwack to the major drainage below the couloir. Devils Club, alder trees, fallen trees, and avi debris are all in order.

Once in the drainage we found excellent travel on firm snow, bypassing a waterfall easily on the right before regaining the snow. We used crampons to ascend the couloir, but did not need them for the SW ridge to the summit.

The 1000m+ bootslide and glissade back down to the creek was a saviour!

No sign of avalanche activity.
NE of Sir Donald still looked snowy.
Tupper W ridge looked mostly snow free.

Herdman couloir and SW ridge