[MCR] Rockies: Mt King George

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Jul 17 20:27:19 EDT 2011

We climbed Mt King George by the south face yesterday (July 16).

The bridge over the Palliser is in good shape, with a wire handrail.
A couple of 4 ft 2x4s lag bolted into the log would be a good
addition to replace the wobbly posts that are there at the moment.

The trail up Fynn Creek is well flagged most of the way. We camped in
the valley to the south of Princess Mary to avoid the King George
glacier/black slot approach.

From camp to the summit was almost entirely on snow with only a
short section of talus. The traverse ledge was snowy and challenging.
Snow conditions on the upper glacier were not that good on the steep
traverse (breakable crust over wet snow) but got better higher.

There was convective fog on the south side of the mountain for much
of the morning and this was to our benefit as it kept things cool. If
the sun had come out earlier we would have had to bail before the
summit. Conditions deteriorated rapidly as soon as the sun came out
and for the second time in a week I was glad to be off steep snow
slopes before 11 AM.

Mark Klassen
Mountain Guide

Ben Firth