[MCR] Rockies, Mt Athabasca AA Col

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Jul 25 21:19:45 EDT 2011

I guided an ascent of the AA Col today, July 25th. Overall good
travel with a mild freeze that deepened the higher we went. We found
challenging flat footing on a glassy bed surface just over the
bergschrund courtesy of yesterday's solar sloughing. !00 meters above
the schrund, and out climber's left to the route, the step kicking
improved.

Spooky to see the recent avalanche activity on the north side from on
high -one wind slab, and two serac calvings. We witnessed snow
cleaning off of the east flank of the Silverhorn, and just north of
the Andromeda Strain area once the sun had been on these areas for a
bit. We also saw a cornice fail and strafe the first Snow and Ice
Practice Gully (aka: Near Earth).

We descended the AA Col where the aforementioned glassy bed surface
was still frozen at noon and not secure enough for us to move
together. I lowered my guest one ropelength down the slipperiest bit.

www.barryblanchard.ca
www.yamnuska.com