[MCR] Rockies: Lyells

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Jul 31 00:24:32 EDT 2011

Greg Golovach and I were at Lyell Hut with a group the past few days.
Thursday and Friday were spent passing the flask around trading
stories while blizzards, rainstorms, hail, lightning and wind raged
outside.

Today dawned mostly clear with a weak freeze but cloud caps on the
high summits. Dreams of a quick run across the icefield to the peaks
were dashed by a breakable crust that made travel tedious. Greg
climbed Lyell 2 while I climbed Lyell 4 via the north ridge, both
ascents were in fog. Lyell 4 was sporty, the snow arete was very
steep and the rock pitch snow covered. The upper ridge has large
cornices and is steeper than I remembered, perhaps due to it being a
winter ascent this time round. I swear I was climbing 75 degree rime
feathered snow up there.

I fixed another nut at the rap station so it seems pretty solid with
two wires and a fixed pin of unknown vintage. I also fixed a knife
blade at the top of the small rock pinnacle below the rock pitch.

This afternoon freezing levels were up to 3200 m with moist and wet
snow on the surface. The walk back to the hut was desperate with calf
to knee deep double penetration in sopping wet snow.

Mark Klassen