[MCR] Bonanza, Ghost River , June 5, 2011

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Jun 5 22:05:10 EDT 2011

Had a fun time guiding "Bonanza" in the Ghost today.  My first time on the route
and it certainly lived up to its three stars.  The route itself is dry and in
good shape, a little dusty from the winter with some gravel on the ledges, but
no big stuff.  Most of the rest of the area is also dry and good to go.

There is some snow in the descent gully but approach shoes worked fine except
for ending up on my butt every once in a while.  It is melting fast but
will probably be around for another week.  The waterfall rappels are set up for
three 25m rappels without getting too much wetter than with double ropes,
depending on the wind.  A light rain jacket would still be a good idea on a cool
day.  Today it just felt nice and refreshing but we did use double ropes.  (You
can also rap the line just left of Bonanza from the top with double 60m ropes in
4 rappels if no one is on it.)

The river crossings were good and water levels stayed fairly constant all day.
The deepest spots you had to drive through were about 40cm deep but a 4x4 was
nice to have.  Road in is bumpy as usual.
Cheers, Conrad Janzen
ACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide
Trip photos at www.banffmountainguides.com