[MCR] Athabasca North Face, June 11

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Jun 11 22:32:53 EDT 2011

A friend and I climbed the North Face route on Athabasca today, June 11. We
had no freeze at lower elevations (+5 at 2:30 am at the parking lot),
trending to a light freeze above 2900m which made for a breakable crust and
good step kicking on the steeper face. The crux pitch consisted mainly of
ice with two short iced-over rock steps (see photo). A few shorter ice
screws were useful on this pitch. We descended the AA col which was still
in good shape around 1130 am, although had seen some wet snow avalanche
activity from previous days. Overall, good travel conditions on Athabasca
today.

Ian Jackson
ACMG Assistant Rock & Assistant Ski Guide