[MCR] Rockies, South Ridge of Mt Norquay, A2 and Mt Andromeda

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Jun 21 22:28:45 EDT 2011

I spent the last five days guiding a group with my fellow guides, Jen
Olson and Jason Billing.

June 17th Jen and I guided the South Ridge of Mt Norquay which is dry
with only a few patches of snow on the summit ridgeline. Descending
the gully beside the tea house/Lone Pine chairlift granted great
bumsliding due to a large avalanche that filled the gully up this
winter, a fast easy descent right now.

June 18th Jen and I guided A2 via the Boundary Glacier. Great snow
coverage on the glacier right now, we had little concern from
crevasses even at the Boundary Peak corner. Good boot top step
kicking all the way with the very occasional knee deep post hole. We
didn't use crampons.

June 20th Jen, Jason and I guided Mt Andromeda via the AA Col. We
decided to ascend slopes and a gully left of the usual ascent/descent
slope (it looked like getting over the bergschrund below that route
normal would be a challenge). Good step kicking and short roping to
3/4 height were we ran out a couple of belayed ropelengths. Likewise
with the gully above the AA Col proper. Good step kicking to the
summit. We wore crampons from the bergschrund, and return, but not on
the glacier. Turned out to be a great day for one that started in the
rain.

www.barryblanchard.ca
www.yamnuska.com

Mr Happy, Jason Billings, in the AA Col proper.