[MCR] Kootenays - Valkyr Range

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Mar 1 13:00:22 EST 2011

Just finished a week at Valkyr Lodge (south of Nakusp and west of the
Valhalla Range). Primary concerns over the week were isolated areas
of hard wind slab from a strong NE wind event mid-week, three weak
surface hoar layers in the top meter, and large cornices.

Yesterday we had a significant storm, which started with moderate
southwest winds all night and ended in the morning with a calm
snowfall that put down close to 30 cm of snow in just a couple of
hours (at one point I measured that it was snowing 9 cm per hour). We
flew out at about noon and saw many avalanches on NE slopes, mostly
soft slabs that I suspect were windslabs from the storm and/or
failing on a surface hoar layer that would now be buried down about
40-50 cm. Avalanche sizes were 1.5 - 2.

Mark Klassen