[MCR] Surprise Pass

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Mar 31 23:59:52 EDT 2011

Attempted a ski tour to Surprise Pass. At Saddle Back there was 25 to 30 cm lo density snow, which made for excellent skiing, however once you dropped down the steep slope into Sheol valley there was aprox 50 cm new snow that was starting to get a slab from the humidity. The slope that you normally descend already ran in the storm - size 2. I observed 2 other avalanches (size 2) coming out one of the gullies and one on a steep role in the trees as I was heading back out from my retreat. Time to be pulling back the reins.

Marco Delesalle
Mountain Guide
www.greatdividemountaineering.com