[MCR] Ventigo Lake to Fairy Meadows Ski Traverse, Northern Selkirks, April 23-30, 2011

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun May 1 03:26:49 EDT 2011

Just returned from guiding a great ski traverse with Tom Wolfe starting just
above Ventigo Lake and skiing across to Fairy Meadows over the course of a
week.  We were able to climb and ski Iconoclast, Argentine Mountain, Centurion
Ridge and Sentinel Peak along the way and had generally good to excellent travel
and ski conditions throughout the week!  Great treeline camping and North facing
ski runs throughout.

Spring is finally arriving in the alpine with firm crusts on solar aspects in
the morning and moist snow on all but high North aspects in the afternoon.  We
used ski crampons quite a bit during our last three days which was very useful
on the steeper slopes.  Ski conditions on N aspects remained good until
yesterday but were beginning to show signs of the warmer temperatures by this
morning.  Below 1800m the snow is starting to have an isothermal feel to it on
the surface, but still provided good travel especially in the morning.

Glacier coverage was excellent with more than 3m of snow in all but the most
wind blown areas of ice.  The bergschrunds on Iconoclast and Argentine still
remain a concern as do some areas in Fairy Meadows such as Pioneer Pass.  I
think most of these have seen avalanches on the basal facets at some point
during the winter and are thinly bridged.

We did not see any new avalanches other than a few solar triggered loose slides
on steep south aspects in the afternoon during our week.  We did still have some
minor concerns for small wind slabs on steep N aspects from the Thursday storm
but this seems to be improving daily.  No whumphing and no significant results
in the snow pack tests we did during the week.  Seems like a pretty good time to
have a look at the bigger lines in the area.

An excellent traverse with great company and a fun way to explore the Northern
Selkirks!
Cheers, Conrad Janzen
ACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide
Trip photos at www.banffmountainguides.com