[MCR] Rogers Pass - Connaught Ck. Bruins Pass - May 1/2011

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun May 1 23:38:45 EDT 2011

Made a last minute change of plans after I found out that permits are still
in effect for the Pass and Loop Brook was going to be closed for the day.
Ended up Connaught ck. behind hotel.

A good freeze overnight made for fast travel in the valley on my way to
Bruins Pass - I ended up ascending 8812 bowl skinning the very bottom and
top and bootpacking the middle section on a holding crust with a yielding
surface that made for good steps.

I skied one line off the North side of Bruins Pass as well as runs on the
north side of Ursus Major and Pk. 8812 - great powder on these N. aspects as
low as 2100m. - no shears in the upper snowpack with 20-25cms of new storm
snow over a well settled base.

Solar aspects gave great corn today if you had the timing right - I skied
back down the SE aspect of 8812 bowl at around 3:00PM and it was great
skiing with a supporting crust under 5 cms of corn, the crust became barely
holding on the steeper slopes just above the valley bottom. The rest of the
run out was perfect corn to the highway!

A Pass down the NW bowl of Cheops likewise held soft snow with a little bit
of downflow wind affect just above the valley bottom.

No real activity today even on the solar aspects - the avalanche crew did a
registration shoot with the Howitzer today and all the rounds I observed on
the Westerly aspects of Avalanche Crest and Macdonald Shoulder failed to
produce even loose snow sluffs.

Looks like one more day of great conditions out there - so if you have the
day off tomorrow - check it out!

Cheers,

Scott Davis