[MCR] Rockies: A2, Mt Athabasca and Mt Wilcox

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu May 26 18:08:52 EDT 2011

My fellow guide, Erica Roles, and I guided out of the Columbia
Icefields Campground May 20 -25. The first couple of days were spent
instructing at Parker's Ridge, we punched a trail up to the practice
slopes and gulley. The snow above treeline was carrying well.

May 22nd we climbed A2 via the North Little Athabasca Glacier tongue,
Athabasca/Boundary Col and upper Boundary Glacier. Given the clear
skies overnight and good freeze travel was dreamy, perfect cramponing
on the frozen surface right up to 9,700 feet where the snow started
to feel a bit wintery still on the north aspect (that bit of
information steered us away from the Ramp route on Athabasca
suspecting a wind slab there).

May 24th we climbed Mt Athabasca via the AA Col route with a marginal
overnight freeze. The snow carried very well, boot top penetration
all the way up and down. We didn't use crampons.

There has been a very large serac collapse across the north face
basin of Athabasca and there looks like there is more to come having
looked down on some BIG cracks in the hanging Silverhorn Glacier.

May 25th we climbed the south ridge of Mt Wilcox and this was the
most problematic ascent of our week due to the amount of snow that is
still sitting in Wilcox Pass. We persisted linking bare ground with
supportive snow.

Relieved to say that summer mountaineering is doing well at the
Icefields, exceptionally so given a good freeze.

www.barryblanchard.ca
www.yamnuska.com

Yamnuska Mountain Adventures Snow and Ice Long Weekend groups, May 22.