[MCR] Selkirk Mountains - Rogers Pass - Connaught Ck.

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Nov 9 23:32:52 EST 2011

I spent the last 2 days skiing around the Connaught Ck. area in Rogers Pass
and figured it was worthy of an update.

First off, the Nov.7th Surface hoar/suncrust interface was buried about
10-15cms by Mondays fluffy snowfall. This low density snow lacked the
stiffness and depth to create any issues so far, but has done a good job of
preserving this layer as the snowfall came in with little or no wind effect
to disturb it before being buried.

Other than that, there were lots (and I mean LOTS!) of people out enjoying
the mostly sunny skies of Tuesday and somewhat fewer folks skiing under the
cloudy weather of today. This has resulted in a significant amount of tracks
in the popular lines (Balu Pass, Bruins Bowl etc.) as well as some less
frequented places such as STS couloir and Nicki's Notch (both steep North
facing lines off Cheops Pk.). The other side affect has been that the trail
out is getting Faster and Faster while the snow cover over the rocks is
getting Thinner and Thinner.

As mentioned by Greg Golovach in his post, steeper southerly slopes did form
a thin breakable suncrust during last week's nice weather - this was evident
on the skiers left lines on Bruins Pass as well as Ursus Minor trees -
fortunately if you moved farther skiers right on Bruins it was no problem
nor was it a problem on slopes under 30 degrees. Something to remember as
everyone will likely be heading to the Ursus Trees given the weather outlook
for the next few days.

What avalanche activity I saw was limited to a shallow size 1 soft snow slab
off the far skier right side of Balu Pass (possibly natural) and what looked
like skier triggered size 1.0 windslabs in STS couloirs.

This could of course change quite quickly with the snowfall that started
this afternoon and the additional load forecasted over the next few days.

Have fun out there and remember, if all else fails - LEAN BACK!

Cheers,

Scott Davis