[MCR] Selkirk Mountains - Rogers Pass - Grizzly Shoulder - Nov.17/11

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Nov 17 22:20:59 EST 2011

First trip up Grizzly Shoulder this year - but I was far from alone - lots
of skiers there today enjoying the 30cms of low density fluff we received
overnight. Fairly good coverage for this time of year, and as usual a bit of
an athletic uptrack especially near the bottom.

I noticed a new snow instability within the overnight snowfall, down about
15cms., that sloughed in steeper open glades in the trees, but I didn't see
anything deeper reacting on small rolls that I ski cut.

I met some locals from Revelstoke that had skied in Ursus Trees today, they
mentioned that the "Frequent Flyer" avalanche path( just past the first
bridge on the summer trail) had run across the trail before they crossed it
early this morning. I didn't see any other avalanche activity but visibility
was quite limited.

Snow flurries all day and strong gusty winds from the West were evident near
the top of the shoulder.

On another note, the Army, and more importantly the 105 Howitzer, arrives
tomorrow marking the beginning of the Winter permit season in Rogers Pass -
so a bit of a change for those that have been skiing for the last while -
Time to check in with the Discovery Center at Rogers Pass to find out what
is and isn't open for the day (includes Grizzly shoulder)and pick up your
daily permit. Mat at the Parks office figures he will have things set up for
the annual permits by tomorrow afternoon.

Looks like a nice weekend coming up!

Cheers,

Scott Davis