[MCR] Evening Ridge, near Nelson, BC

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Nov 25 16:39:30 EST 2011

Curious about conditions after the storm, we had time for one quick run at
Evening Ridge this morning. We found about 100cm at the parking lot (1500m)
with 20-25cm of new low density snow sitting on a 4cm thick rain crust.
This crust disappeared at ~1800m indicating freezing levels did not go as
high as expected.

A test pit at 1870m showed variable snow depths from 150-190cm but averaging
~170cm. We had easy but resistant shears down 17cm at the most recent storm
snow interface and hard shears down 110cm that were below an older 3mm rain
crust and giving inconsistent fracture characteristics.

The trail breaking was a bit of work with up to 40cm ski pen and a few
alders to bust through below ~1650m.

Ski quality was excellent up high but below 1650m you could really feel the
rain crust beneath the new snow and had to pick your line carefully through
the alders.

We experienced no significant cracking or whumpfing, and saw no recent slabs
out, but had limited visibility and saw nothing of the alpine. We stayed in
the trees and away from larger, steep, open slopes.

Here is a short clip that gives you an idea of the ski quality:

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrIN-87enSg>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrIN-87enSg

Cheers,
Shaun King ACMG / UIAGM Mountain Guide