[MCR] Little Yoho

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Oct 8 22:23:12 EDT 2011

Just back from the little Yoho Valley today via the ice line trail, spent 5 nights at the Stanley Mitchell hut with collegue's, Fridjon Thorleifsson(AAG,SG) and Dave Wan(HG) with a College of the Rockies group. Temps were rather mild for the first few days and started to cool off yesterday. This morning dawned cool and bright, -2 at the hut.
The glaciers are quite variable as far as snow amounts go. We had Hst of up to 40cm on the glacier going up to the President on Wednesday and snow was moist to the summit. The bergshrund is still easily passed on the climbers right side.
There is now enough snow to hide many crevasses and we managed to find a few on the glacier up to Emerald pass in white out and snowing conditions.
We observed a few sluffs out of steep terrain but no slabs this past week.
Have fun out there.
Cheers
Todd Craig, MG