[MCR] The Mitre, Lake Louise Group, Rockies

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Sep 8 00:52:44 EDT 2011

We attempted to climb The Mitre today but despite beautiful weather & an early start, unfortunately we unfortunately weren't successful due to route finding 'challenges'. A note that the correct ascent gulley for the first pitch is the climber's righthand of the two you approach. This is not the gulley that has the anchor at the top... The 'keyhole' and crack are not visible from the bottom of the pitch.

Snow/ice conditions in the couloir were good, although the top portion was steepish with refrozen nevé which made for some tricky foot placements. We rapped off a slung block on top and then dug down 50 cm to the ice for a V-thread. Pic of the couloir attached.

On our walk-out (in the daylight unlike the walk-in), we remarked that there is a great deal of snow on the ridge. This might have made for challenging climbing up high. Pic attached.

Nonetheless, a long and rewarding day in the hills.