[MCR] Mount Victoria - South Summit

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Sep 12 00:35:56 EDT 2011

I was up on the south summit of Victoria today via the Huber Ledges, which were dry. Crevasses were well-bridged, as was the bergschrund to access the SW face of Victoria. The gully leading to the ridge was a mixture of rubble and ice, with snow near the top.
Conditions on the ridge itself were reasonably fast, with the snow melting back from the rocky ridge, exposing more rock. That being said, there was still significant travel on snow that was softening in the late morning sun.
We observed one rockfall event off of the NW side of Huber, above the first pocket glacier. This was in the morning, with cool temperatures and no sun on the face.
On a slightly different note, there is a prescribed burn that started today in the western part of Yoho National Park. The smoke was starting to come into the area in the afternoon, and I'd expect there may be more in the following week.
Chris GooliaffACMG AAG, ASG, ARG