[MCR] Mt Robson, Sept 10-12

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Sep 12 22:43:02 EDT 2011

I guided Mt Robson via the Kain Route Sept 10-12, with guests Clint
Evangelista and Joe Delamont.

Despite the recent hot, clear weather, there is still a lot of snow on
the mountain. After arriving by helicopter on the Dome on Sept 10, we
witnessed numerous wet snow avalanches down the Kain Face, and several
large cornice failures from the ridge on either side of the face.
Daytime heating was our primary concern, especially descending the Kain
Face in the morning sun. We therefore decided to climb the route at
night, taking advantage of the full moon. We started climbing at 5:30 pm
on September 11th, with the face out of the sun and the cornices shaded
by thick cloud cover that had developed during the day.

The bergschrund is easily crossed on the left side of the face, at a
spot that is unfortunately threatened by a cornice.The face itself had a
firm crust overlying wet snow. There was no ice; all anchors were in
snow. The horizontal ridge at the top of the face was much easier than
in past years, but caution must be exercised due to the huge cornices.
There was a well-trodden path that was often too close to the crest of
the ridge. There is now another trail further away from the cornice that
is a better choice, especially in warm temps.

The upper ridge was easy travel in bucket steps up snow. We reached the
summit under clear skies and a full moon at 11:30 pm. The moonlight was
so bright that headlamps were not necessary. On our way down the
mountain, we were treated to a display of northern lights, and we
arrived in camp at 5:00 am.

All said, conditions on the Kain Route are very good right now,
especially if cold temperatures are encountered.

Grant Meekins
ACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide
Yamnuska Mountain Adventures <http://yamnuska.com/>