[MCR] Rockies, Traverse of Haddo Peak and Mt Aberdeen

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Sep 18 09:44:26 EDT 2011

I guided a traverse of the Haddo Peak and Mt Aberdeen yesterday, Sept
17th. We gained the East Ridge of Haddo via the highest snow slope
from Surprise Valley (a traverse onto the ridge from below the steep
black rock band topping it) . We found good cramponing on a hard
frozen summer snow surface with runnels of drifted-in new, dry snow.
A winter day up high, freezing temps and lots of fresh verglas. We
didn't find any windslabs bigger than a coffee table. We descended
the large scree gully to the southwest off of the summit of Mt
Aberdeen, it leads into Paradise Valley where we crossed Paradise
Creek and turned up valley on the old -decommisioned- trail to gain
the Giant Steps Trail and Paradise Valley trail.

Lots of trails,
happy trails,

www.barryblanchard.ca
www.yamnuska.com