[MCR] Bugaboos, Purcells, BC

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Sep 19 14:16:10 EDT 2011

As reported by others, winter came to the mountains this past weekend. Up in the Bugs, we had very snowy conditions putting sunny rock climbing on the shelf possibly until next summer...?

Near continuous snowfall on Saturday with periods of 2cm/hr and low visibility. All of the fresh snow made for nice travel up the Bugaboo-Snowpatch col with good steps the entire way. 10cm+ of fresh (& still accumulating) on the upper glaciers meant cautious travel as crevasses are now thinly covered with unsupportive bridges. Travelling roped, lots of probing and careful route-finding was necessary.

On our hike out via Cobalt Lake Sunday the precipitation continued with the freezing level at ~2400 metres.

Pics:
Pigeon Spire & icefall (Saturday)
Bugaboo rappels (Saturday)
Kain hut (Sunday)