[MCR] Backcountry ski conditions: Banff Park ; Plain of the six glaciers Lake Louise

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Apr 2 15:48:53 EDT 2012

Greetings,

Myself and guests skied in the Plain of the Six Glaciers area behind lake Louise yesterday.

Fantastic morning fresh powder and conditions quickly deteriorated by 12 pm as the
entire area was affected by both a wind event and solar/day time warming. By 2pm
there was a crust below 2000 meters and widespread soft slabs up to 30cm thick in more wind exposed areas. By the time we
left the snow was mostly upside down or crusted and the surface slab had
reached necessary cohesion values ripe for
propagation and slab avalanches. It remains to be seen how this instability settles out.

We also saw plenty of wind transported snow in
the alpine
which was building cornices and loading lee aspects. There we a few
natural avalanches up to size 2 from the West aspects of Victoria, Popes
and Collier.

Eric Dumerac- Professional Mountain Guide
✆ 403-609-1564
Mountain Skills Academy