[MCR] Banff Park - Pulpit area ski touring-April 5

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Apr 6 14:54:08 EDT 2012

With two guests we skied the Pulpit area yesterday. Our access was well away from the current Bear Closure in this area.

We found very good conditions on due North aspects from treeline to valley bottom with boot top powder. The area received about 10 - 15cm of new snow with no wind. There was a storm snow instability that would slough easily 10-15cm down on steep or unsupported terrain. A few size 1 avalanches had come out of steep unskiable terrain.

All solar aspects have a crust that is supportive and hard to break through. Almost would require ski crampons to uptrack steep solar slopes in this area.

Eric Dumerac- Professional Mountain Guide
✆ 403-609-1564
Mountain Skills Academy