[MCR] ACMG Ski Guide Exam Bugs/Rockies

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Apr 28 11:39:44 EDT 2012

Todd,
Mike, Ali, Steve, Ryan and myself spent April 21-27 in the Bugaboos and Rockies
being examined on the ACMG Ski Guide exam.

The week
started in the Bugaboos with clear skies and freezing levels rising to over
3000m. Objectives included Cobalt Lake, Vowell-Pigeon circuits, Rock Ridge Peak
and the Crescent Traverse. Average snowpack depth was 3m and we felt that the
glaciers had good coverage. Our main concern was the snowpack transitioning
from winter to spring with loose and wet snow slides. By April 24 we had no
overnight freeze and rain to 3000m so decided to pull the pin and head to the
Rockies where freezing levels were dropping to 2000m. We observed widespread
loose snow avalanches in the Bugs on all aspects and at all elevations.

We avoided
being in the field during the widespread avalanche cycle on April 25. On April
26 in the Rockies we observed loose snow & wet slabs running to ground up
to size 2.5

In the
Rockies objectives included Little Crowfoot, Popes Peak, Mt Gordon, Mt Olive
and Observation Sub Peak. Our main concern was the isothermal snowpack at lower
elevations. We found excellent coverage on the glaciers (HS up to 3m). The week
ended with FL dropping to 1900m with a workable overnight freeze and decent
skiing on high N aspects with HST 14cm over 2700m on the Wapta Icefields. With
the first clear night on Friday, conditions are now significantly improved from
last week.

Erica RolesACMG Assistant Ski/Assistant Alpine Guide

http://www.upthewall.ca