[MCR] Cirque Peak, Banff Nat'l Park, AB Rockies

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Apr 28 21:35:55 EDT 2012

After a number of days (im)patiently waiting for a good overnight freeze, we carpe diem'd today and headed up to the Parkway.

At 07h30, temp was -6 at the car (1900m). We found a good freeze 15cm deep at 2300m with dry snow down 30cm, below this was moist. Some high cloud kept the temps down for our bootpack up the ridge to the summit. On the summit at 11h35, temp was still a nice cool -7.5 with a light NW wind.

The descent gulley was soft enough for edging and we had nice light "cream cheese" turns down lower. We exited via Helen Creek and the snow was supportive virtually all the way back to the car. Creek is opening in a number of spots.

At the trailhead at 14h00, temperature was +5. When we drove by Mt. Hector trailhead at 14h30, there were 8 parked cars.

Pics:
Cirque Peak view from south with ascent ridge
Descent gulley

Ken Bélanger
TopCog Adventures Outdoor Guiding & Adventure Travel
ACMG ASG, CAA2

Dave Healey
ACMG ASG, CAA2