[MCR] Rockies: Mount Huber (Aug 8 and 9)

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Aug 10 13:59:07 EDT 2012

I spent the past two days guiding on Mount Huber above Lake O'Hara in
Yoho National Park.

August 8: We retreated from halfway up the upper glacier due to
incoming electrical storm but had a rockfall near miss on the descent.
Almost immediately after exiting the climber's rightmost of the two
gullies that split the upper section of the Huber Ledges, a barrage of
microwave- to television-sized rocks strafed the gully. If we had been
5-10 minutes later, we surely would have been vapourized. The trigger
was most likely the rain (although it was fairly light at that time)
or even possibly the very high winds we were experiencing. There is a
small lingering snow patch high above this gully whose meltwater could
have also been the cause.

August 9: Summitted Mount Huber with different guests in near perfect
conditions. A solid freeze made for fast travel on the two glaciers
and a straight-up line of good steps cut the face to the summit. The
bergshrund is well bridged and easily crossed. Cornice hazard is
minimal but still present. By the time we were descending the face at
10:30am, the freeze was gone and the steps were getting soft making
for easier downclimbing, but I wouldn't want to be any later. Needless
to say, we had a good rest before the rockfall gullies then moved
through them very quickly. Total exposure time was about 10 minutes
and we tried to minimize the exposure by hugging the side walls.

Sean Isaac
ACMG Alpine Guide

E: sean at seanisaac.com
FB: Sean Isaac Guiding