[MCR] Morrison/Tarrant Buttress, Mt. Odaray & Prime Rib, Mt. MacDonald - Aug. 9/10th

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Aug 11 16:51:48 EDT 2012

*Morrison/ Tarrant Buttress, Mt. Odaray - August 9th*
**
*Conditions:*

- The rock was dry, and all snow patches on the ascent could be avoided.
- Well consolidated snow on Odaray glacier made for good step kicking on
descent in afternoon. Still good coverage on the glacier. Nice to have an
ice axe on steeper slopes.

*Additional Information:*

- The route description created by Tom Wolfe that is available on the
web seemed to work pretty well for us. There are some loose bands of rock
on this route, but they are relatively short lived, with lots of pretty
good rock in the quarzite and limestone bands, so perservere!
- We took the 'Y chimney' through the black band - starting in the right
chimney, and traversing into the left, which worked well.

*Prime Rib, Mt. MacDonald - August 10th*

*Conditions:*

- Dry rock.
- Approach to MacDonald had some firm snow in the gulley (we used
crampons), but the snow was undercut by meltwater in many spots, and we
used caution to ensure we were on supported snow. Otherwise, thick Selkirk
bushwacking to reach the base.
- We didn't place any pitons on the route, although a hammer was usefull
to check fixed pins. There were 5-6 fixed pins on the 11a traverse pitch.
- We replaced/ backed up many of the slings on the rappel anchors.

*Areas of Concern:*

- A trail to the log crossing Connaught creek is flagged from the W end
of the pullout on the W side of the 'Lens' snow shed (the second shed you
reach if travelling E from the Pass).

Great conditions in both areas. Nice to have a few lightning-free
afternoons!

Ian Jackson
ACMG Aspirant Guide
Visitor Safety Technician