[MCR] Mount Victoria

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Aug 25 13:15:31 EDT 2012

Wiser people than me have said, "24 hours is a long time in the life of a mountain."

So, about 24hrs after Mark Klassen summited Mt. Victoria - south ridge, my guest and I did the same (Abbot hut rtn.)
Thick cloud and snow started at about 3000m (0500). Rate of precip. and wind fluctuated throughout the day amounting to 5-10cm of snow covering verglas. Descending the lower portion of the route was challenging due to visibility and footing. Over-all the route was still in reasonable condition. We wore crampons most of the day. As Mark mentioned the seasonal snow on the ridge makes for good travel.

Happy climbing.
John Freeman
www.johnfreemanguide.com