[MCR] Valhalla Range, August 25-30, 2012

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Aug 31 01:43:43 EDT 2012

Spent the last six days climbing in the Valhalla Range and enjoying great rock and sunshine!

We climbed the S Ridge of Gimli, Niselheim Corner, the W Ridge of Asgard, a traverse of the Wolfs Ears from the Gimli col, and a traverse of Midgard.

The initial descent into Mulvey Basin is still snow and is fine with light crampons, approach shoes or light boots and an ice axe. Once in the basin approach shoes and/or rock shoes were used for all the routes we did, as well as for Gimli and the Wolfs Ears.  A single rope was fine for all our descents.

Water is still available 40m below the Gimli campsite and should last another several days but the snow is disappearing rapidly. Snowmelt from the gully E of camp is also an option after this goes.

No issues with pack rats thanks to the food bin.  Bring your own chicken wire for the parking lot if you stay overnight.

A real gem for alpine rock routes of all difficulties and a very beautiful spot to visit!

Cheers, Conrad Janzen
IFMGA Mountain Guide
www.banffmountainguides.com