[MCR] Kootenay Fire Break

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Dec 2 19:10:15 EST 2012

Up at the fire break east of the Mt. Stanley parking lot today with an AST 2 group for Yamnuska. Variable height of snow from about 45 cm at the parking elevation to about 80 cm at 1800 m. There were some reactive shears in the recent storm snow down about 15 cm from the surface; other than that no significant results from numerous compression tests and 1 rutschblock. The snowpack was remarkably supportive; good skiing at the upper elevations and we were motivated to be quite careful near the highway elevation. Very mild temps (0 to minus 2) and snowing lightly all day. We did not observe any avalanches.

Play safe...
James Blench IFMGA