[MCR] Selkirk Mountains - Rogers Pass - Connaught Ck. Dec.2/2012

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Dec 2 21:54:54 EST 2012

Since things have changed with the recent storms I thought it worthy of an
update on Connaught Ck.

Since I was last here a few days ago there has accumulated @ 40cms of recent
storm snow over Wednesdays interface of suncrusts etc.

I was in the Ursus Minor Trees area today with numerous other keeners, the
only ski cut results I had on Wednesday's interface, was on a small steeper
slope with a well developed suncrust (South aspect 2000m.) where I managed
to release a small slab 40cms deep. Enough to give me pause if I was on a
similar feature of larger size and or consequence.

Weather today: light snow in the morning picked up to moderate intensity by
noon (1-2cms/hour) with limited visibility above treeline, and though the
winds were generally light most of the day they definitely increased later
in the afternoon with moderate to strong gusts from the West transporting
snow at ridgecrest features at TL and above elevations (also some valley
winds in Connaught Ck. itself.

Avalanches activity: aside from the above mentioned ski cut result - there
was an audible avalanche that ran off the North Aspect of Cheops but the
light was too poor to say exactly where and how big it was.

Travel Conditions: if you step off the beaten track expect to encounter
30-40cms ski penetration - skiing wise it was pretty darn good out there
today with cooler temps than Saturday and lighter surface snow. I would
expect more wind effect on exposed features tomorrow.

Cheers,

Scott Davis