[MCR] Southern Purcells

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Dec 5 11:09:40 EST 2012

Had a great day of ski touring at Grey Creek pass yesterday. Drove to the Redding Creek bridge and I would not do that again as the road was pretty ruff and slick.  I would recommend to start sledding at the usual plowed parking lot. In general the snowpack looked good. There is 160cm at 2100m.  Moderate compression test results in the upper 50cm on the buried surface hoar and the early November crust is down 105 cm and seems to be bonding well.  There was significant ridge tops winds, loading lee aspects and adding to cornice growth.  Surprisingly large cornices for this time of year.  I would limit my exposure to this right know and stay well back from them on ridge tops.  A cornice release could step down to these lower layers creating large avalanches.

Dan Madell
ACMG Ski Guide