[MCR] Observation Peak

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Dec 9 20:23:07 EST 2012

Adding to my post of yesterday; today we skied on Observation Peak just above Bow Summit. It was a very different world here with 60 to 110 cm of snow on the ground averaging about 75 cm. deep. There was one old avalanche out of a big SW facing path. Judging from the snow on the debris it ran naturally on Dec. 4 or 5 for about 500 meters linear distance. We found variable compression test results above, within and below the early November crust ranging from easy to hard but all were sudden collapse fracture character. Despite the numerous aggressive ski tracks you could see in many steep features on the peak ,the variability in the snow pack strength made me conclude it was more prudent to wait until spring for those lines and we skied moderate tree line runs and generally minimized our exposure to the bigger features on Observation peak.

Best regards and play safe.

James Blench IFMGA