[MCR] Rainbow Serpent Ice Climb

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Dec 18 20:57:22 EST 2012

Climbed Rainbow Serpent today in the Ghost with my friend and fellow guide MB Board.
Temps hovered around –5c for most of the day and the winds were calm to light – making for very enjoyable ice climbing conditions.

The approach pitches to Aquarius were very wet, but thankfully short. Aquarius is excellent shape offering good protection throughout and is completely dry. Bring at least one short screw to protect the thin ice nearing the top of the second pitch.

Rainbow Serpent was excellent. There has been at least a couple of parties up the route already, which made it easier to find good tool and ice screw placements. The pillar at the bottom on the first pitch and the upper pillar on the second pitch has cracked horizontally across its width, but still seems to be standing strong. Be aware though, it is still difficult to judge how strong these delicate features actually are. We were lucky to have a photographer with us to get some great pics!

Driving conditions in the Ghost are as good as it gets right now.

Play safe,

Kristopher Irwin – ACMG Alpine Guide
www.rockies-ice.com

MB Board – ACMG Ski and Apprentice Alpine Guide

Tim Banfield -www.timbanfield.com