[MCR] Rockies, Rogan's Gully

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Dec 30 20:49:20 EST 2012

I guided an ascent of Rogan's Gully today, Dec 30th. The route remains in good shape but since my last trip there on Dec 27th a size 1.5 avalanche ran from above the climb coming to rest below the "narrows". It would have been possible to have been buried by this slide in several places, and knocked off in many more. I suspect that the slide was triggered by the sun, but I am not sure on that. A definitive example of how Moderate or Low Avalanche Hazard does not mean 'no' avalanche hazard. My guests and I carried avalanche beacons, probes and shovels on both of these recent trips.

www.barryblanchard.ca
www.yamnuska.com