[MCR] Mount Hector - Rockies

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Feb 3 02:13:09 EST 2012

Hi all,

Today we enjoyed some nice ankle deep powder and fabulous views on the regular north facing glacier route on mount Hector. We did not summit, our high point was at 3100m along the Northwest shoulder. We had sunny skies in the AM and overcast in the PM. It was a comfortable day with temperatures ranging from -5 to -16 Celsius and very light winds from the North at higher elevation. We saw no new avalanches or signs of instability.

Traveling conditions were quite variable on this tour. The lower approach head wall was reasonable; there was an old avalanche debris on this slope which increased our confidence about being there and made for good travel. The exposed flat terrain and convoluted moraines leading to the toe of the North Glacier sported variable to no snow cover, we had to walk here and there. It was a little tedious at time and definitely slowed us down. The snow coverage on the north glacier ranged from 120cm to 300cm. For the most part it felt firm, looked good covered and sure skied well.

Of note was an exposed, bulge like, glacier roll at around 3150m striped right down to bare ice. From our vantage point, it looked to be spanning across the width of the normal route. It is unknown if one can ski around it. Until we get more snow, crampons may be useful to cross this section.

Enjoy the sun!

David Lussier
ACMG-IFMGA Mountain Guide
www.summitmountainguides.com