[MCR] Emerald Lake Slide Path

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Feb 3 22:37:54 EST 2012

My friend Marc and I enjoyed blue bird weather today at Emerald Lake. We
skied terrain between 1300 and 2400m elev. HS varied between 135 cm at the
bottom of the path and 230cm near ridgetop. Compression tests yielded easy
collapse down 10cm and resistant planar down 35cm. We stayed away from S
aspects as the solar affects today were signficant with sloughing and
pinwheels (rocky peak looker's R of main path). The majority of the
cornice feature above the gully looker's L has collapsed with no result on
the slope below.

Of most importance, we observed significant surface hoar from the Lake up
to about 2100m elevation. It was still standing when we skied down at
1400h. Plate size 4-8mm. This could cause concern when buried by future
snowfall.

Overall, excellent skiing through ankle deep storm snow, although this path
has seen a lot of traffic since the last storm event, and fresh tracks
below 2100m are getting more difficult to find.

Brent Peters
AAG